Impressions of Reykjavik
Reykjavik was the start and the end of our road trip around Iceland. On our first day in Reykjavik, we did a free walking tour. It is the perfect way to explore all the important places in the city and learn more about it and Iceland in general. And we were very lucky with the weather: a beautiful sunny day.
Some fun facts I learned:
- There are 5 times more sheep then men in Iceland. You will see them everywhere along the road (adjust your speed) and you even encounter them during hikes
- They are still very proud of the accomplishment of their soccer team during the European Championship
- Due to prohibition, beer was only allowed since 1989. Their national beer is Viking. More and more micro-breweries are starting to pop up around Iceland
- The street signs in Reykjavik have a special addition. And no, I will not tell you what that is, you have to see it for yourself
- Every man has a last name ending with son, while every woman has one ending with dottir. So brother and sister do not have the same last name. Very confusing
Reykjavik has a pretty small city centre, so everything is easily accessible by foot. But I have to admit that we weren’t really impressed by the city. It is charming but doesn’t really have a lot of landmarks. But all in all, the perfect city to explore before you start your road trip.
Here are some impressions of the city
Where to stay in Reykjavik? These are the best areas to stay in the city.
What did you think of Reykjavik?